It was clear that he had injured himself quite badly, so Emily cleaned the wound and called the vet. Due to the location of the wound the vet was concerned that there may be an infection in the tendon sheath, so he thoroughly cleaned the wound again before applying a Skintact® dressing and prescribing a course of antibiotics.
Emily then had to monitor Chump for signs of infection over the next 48 hours by walking him out in-hand, to check for the onset of extreme lameness. When the 48 hours had passed, Chump was allowed out into the field with the wound still covered.
Just as Emily and Chump were putting the leg injury behind them and getting back into work, Emily noticed he was lame when they set off out on a hack. Returning to the yard, Emily checked Chump over and found a thorn embedded in the bulb of his heel.
When she removed the thorn, she was shocked to discover that the thorn was 35mm long and had come dangerously close to the navicular bursa. Emily once again rang the vet before she cleaned the wound and applied dry Animalintex®.
The vet was so concerned about the location of the puncture that he initially recommended that Chump should go into surgery to flush out any infection that might be present. Emily was reluctant to go down this route as Chump is not the best traveller, so the vet took samples from the tendon sheath and coffin joint to test back at the surgery.
The wound site was then flushed thoroughly again before applying a dry dressing of Animalintex® and a second course of antibiotics was prescribed.
Once again Emily had to walk Chump out in-hand regularly to check for lameness and signs of pain that could indicate infection within the tendon sheath as well as changing the Animalintex® two to three times a day.
Thankfully, the results came back from the vet and were negative for infection, so four days later Chump was allowed back into the field.